Saturday, November 08, 2014

MY STORY BY LEE CHONG WEI

In what is a world wide exclusive, the number one shuttler in the world Lee Chong Wei breaks his silence as he shares his thoughts with Malaysian Sports Blogger Satwant Singh Dhaliwal on the alleged doping scandal that has plagued him.

This article is based on a series on conversations held before and after the B Sample was tested and the results are yet to be made public.

Read on....

"My knees wobbled and I could neither stand nor sit down as I read the letter notifying me that I had failed a doping test," said Chong Wei, his voice choking with emotion.

"I saw my entire life flash by me, the whole last 15 years just going up in smoke. I was devastated and just did not know what to do.

"I have never cheated not even made any attempt to cheat thus this was like a bolt of lightening, destroying everything I had worked so hard for.

"I am a firm believer of hard work and effort to achieve success so such an allegation left me speechless and dumbfounded."

Chong Wei said that it was his wife Wong Mew Choo that suggested that they take a break overseas to clear his mind and also leave it to the authorities to get into the bottom of the matter.

"The Sports Minister took charge personally and for that I am grateful as he guided me and gave me good advice on how to handle matters," added Chong Wei.

"I was informed that the drug was last injected into me on July 18 and how the traces were still there in August is something I cannot explain.

"Suffice to say I never took any drugs beyond those prescribed to me and deny any suggestions that I resort to traditional herbs that contain banned substance.

"I went through an out of competition test on August 15and it was all clear. So it is indeed a mystery why this substance was found in my system in August 30."

The national icon said that many a time he had wanted to come out and make a public statement but opted to wait till the B sample was tested.

"I hope the public understands my position and situation. I must reiterate that everything is being done to clear the air and to get to the root of the problem," added Chong Wei.

"I went to Oslo to observe the B sample bottle being opened and go through the documentation to satisfy myself.

"I know the possibility of it being different is remote but it is a procedure that needs to be done.

"All my medications, treatment records and supplements are being treated by the authorities who hope to find out how the substance was still in my system more then a month after I last received the injection for treatment of my thigh injury."

Though it looks bleak, Chong Wei is hoping that BWF will evaluate all evidence presented should the B sample be positive as well.

There has been speculation that Chong Wei could either receive a severe reprimand or be suspended for a period of six months.

A six month suspension will mean that shuttler will lose some 43,000 out of his 97,000 odd current ranking points and he will slip to a world ranking of 15-18 by March 2015.

"We will cross the bridge when we come to it I guess," added Chong Wei.

"At the moment I am confined to my house and have not even thought of returning to the courts yet.

"There are so many unanswered questions and I hope to clear my name soon.

"I never cheated nor will I ever rely on banned substances."

And the entire world badminton fraternity can only pray that things end up well for Chong Wei.

Failing which the Road to Rio will merely remain an illusion for Malaysia to win its first ever gold medal at the Olympics.

Note; No part of this article is to be reproduced in any form, written or expressed without the consent of the author.


Sent from my iPhone